Tuesday, January 24, 2006

blog entry assignment # 2

In the last project I completed for 2-D foundations, I used a camping theme. This project had to do with circle, line, and rectangle placement by composition. By using various objects as an accent, dominant or subordinate image, I was able to actively place images in my composition to help tell a narrative.

My first attempt at the idea of making a narrative with various related forms, was to me a little difficult. Originally I had the idea of using outdoors as my theme. But as I was searching for images, my idea evolved into the idea of camping. I started out by looking at trees then moving onto campfires, tents and so on. When I placed these images onto the paper the juxtaposition revealed a theme of people having fun while camping.

Even though these pictures in my composition were juxtaposed together, they did present a sense of overall balance. This balance was probaly best created by the use of different sizes and shapes. The images of people having fun while camping I wanted to present as being the most important or the most dominant. I thought the best way to invoke the idea of a fun camping environment was to have the smiles on peoples faces be the most important. My supporting images, to help tie in the idea of camping are less important, therefore they were made subordinate and accentual. I tried to stick with rounder images to play off of the squarer images of campers having fun. All these images have different values of importance from one another, so within them I have the dominant, subordinate, and accentual sizes. For instance the image of a tent is by far more important in developing the idea of camping then a pair of hiking boots. So I had the hiking boots be accentual, and the tent be dominant. Yet this dominance is subordinate to the dominance of that of the pictures of campers smiling. The smaller images are very important though to the composition, they help to pull the viewer in and understand the overall idea of what I was trying to express. Every image was important to creating the narrative of camping for this third project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home