Friday, April 28, 2006

Individual Concept


What is going on in this picture? Who and why do people establish meanings to things and how do they justify them? For example how is this image being represented? Are those people helping build something or are they going to throw that object somewhere else. Who decides what those holes represent in the side? Many ideas and terms are thought of by just viewing an object. Sometimes without really thinking and taking a closer look at an image. The level of education, history, memory, experience and interests are different things that help an individual establish a connection and view towards a piece of art.

This year’s art event was focused on the theme of dirty. When I attended the event I had not previously realized how many very different ideas there were about what the definition of dirty was. I saw several interesting concepts expressed deriving from these themes, physical, emotional, social, political, and economical. Dirty is just one word, what happens when a larger concept is expressed. Something larger like a specific war? More tension arises, however the audience is narrower. There are less people able to relate to the term. But instead using a big word that is very general allows so many people to become affected and have a view of their own on a concept.

In this piece I like to imagine the word help or struggle to create my own meaning. I I was given a more in depth description about the piece, I would not be able to be as creative and as personal as I would want to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home